Tonsley Innovation District
What is Tonsley?
Tonsley is Australia’s first innovation district, connecting businesses with the best and brightest.
The former Mitsubishi Motors assembly plant at Tonsley is in the process of being completely redeveloped as an integrated employment, education and residential precinct by Renewal SA.
This is a unique development in the City of Marion and we are looking for ways to encourage the business and local community to activate this space.
- Download the Tonsley February 2017 newsletter.
- Tonsley Suburb Renaming - The new suburb of Tonsley includes the former Mitsubishi site, an area south to Sturt Road, and the existing residential precinct bounded by the Tonsley rail line, Sturt Road and South Road. A small industrial precinct to the northeast of the site is also included. Find out more about the Tonsley Suburb Renaming.
- International driverless car company to set up office in Adelaide - Find out more on the Tonsley website.
What do you want to see at Tonsley?
We want to hear your big ideas to activate the space at Tonsley!
Let us know what you would like to see and how you would like to use the space.
Weekend activities, markets, night-time activities, networking events, information events, family friendly activities? The list is endless!
Using the ‘what makes a great place' concept, we will be focusing on key attributes for place making:
- Uses and activities
- Access and links
- Comfort and image
Share your big idea with us!
Fill in the form on the Making Marion website to let us know your big ideas!
More about Tonsley
Tonsley has been the home of innovation and sustainability since the 1800s; and fifty years ago, Tonsley was a cornerstone of South Australia’s manufacturing industry.
Today, it integrates environmental, social and economic opportunities. There’s a focus on innovation, education, health and collaboration in a quality environment.
A new TAFE has been established on the site and Flinders University has moved its School of Computer Science, Engineering and Mathematics into a new six storey building completed in 2015.
Targets for the development are some 6,300 jobs, over 2,000 students and 1,500 residents.
The Tonsley Innovation District’s four focus sectors reflect South Australia’s major economic strengths and opportunities:
- Health, medical devices and assistive technologies.
- Cleantech and renewable energy.
- Software and simulation.
- Mining and energy services.
Health, medical devices and assistive technologies
Health, medical devices and assistive technologies organisations already operating at Tonsley include:
Cleantech and renewable energy
Tonsley is attracting quality innovators in cleantech and renewable energy, including:
- ZEN Energy
- Latent Heat Storage
- Flinders University’s Centre for Nanoscale Science and Technology
- Collaborative Research Centre for Low Carbon Living
- TAFE SA’s Sustainable Industries Education Centre.
Software and simulation
Software and simulation success stories at Tonsley include:
- Simulation Australasia
- Flinders University’s School of Computer Science, Engineering and Mathematics
- System Simulation Hub.
Mining and energy services
Current Mining and Energy Services partners include:
Tonsley’s emerging world-class resources for the mining and energy services sector include:
Further information about Tonsley
Further information about the Tonsley development can be found on the Tonsley website.
Do you have a query?
If you have any queries about the project, please speak to the Tonsley project team from Renewal SA.
Tonsley, South Road, Clovelly Park, SA 5042
Phone: 1300 321 208
City of Marion Project Co-ordinator:
Phone: 8375 6679