Section 7 Searches
Searches provide information on a particular property. They can only be ordered by or on behalf of a person who has an interest in land within the area.
For the purposes of ordering a search, the Local Government Act 1999 (Section 187) states that a person has an interest in land if and only if that person is:
- the owner of a registered estate or interest in the land; or
- an occupier of the land; or
- a person who has entered or declares to the Council that he or she proposes to enter into a contract to purchase the land; or
- a mortgagee or prospective mortgagee of the land.
People who have no relationship with the property (e.g. people interested in buying) can complete an Assessment Book Extract Application Form and pay $10.50 for ownership information. Visit the Information on Property Owners page for information about this form.
Council has up to 8 working days, from the day that payment is received, to complete a search.
What is a Section 7 Search?
A full Section 7 Search consists of three components:
- Rates - A rates certificate is generated which shows rates levied for this financial year and outstanding rates due.
- Environmental Health - The specific property is checked against the contaminated land register to identify whether any relevant notices have been issued.
- Development Services - A search is done on previous applications to check whether there are any continuing conditions. A copy of the indemnity insurance (if available) is attached and any encumbrances, Land Management Agreements or current notices issued for that particular property are indicated on the search.
Fees and charges
- Rates only: $31.75
- Property only: $22.80
- Full Section 7 Search: $54.55
- Full Section 7 Search - Urgent (not 24 hour): $65.75
Certificates of Title
All $22.80, $54.55 and $65.75 searches must include a copy of the Certificate of Title in order for Council to process the search request.
Urgent searches will be given priority but Council will not guarantee a 24 hour turnaround.
Only $31.75 rates updates may be faxed to customers if requested - a hard copy will also be posted.
Please note: $54.55 and $65.75 searches will not be faxed under any circumstances.