What you can do to reduce and reuse
- Borrow, swap, rent or share before buying stuff you only use occasionally, such as garden tools, camping supplies, party supplies.
- Maintain and repair clothing, appliances and other items before replacing them.
- Look for products that use less packaging, such as bulk items instead of smaller individually wrapped products.
- Buy used. You can find everything from clothing to building materials at charity shops and salvage centres (listed below).
- Recycle whatever remains after these steps and only dispose to landfill what cannot be reduced or reused.
Refuse junk mail
You can refuse the junk mail that ends up in your letterbox by purchasing a ‘No advertising material’ label for your letterbox, available from most hardware stores or by following this advice on the Clean Up Australia website.
Modern cloth nappies
Cloth nappies have come a long way and now families can try before they buy.
The Eco Bums Cloth Nappy Library came about because of the overwhelming number of modern cloth nappies on the market and families being unsure on which one to choose and how to use them.
For more information visit the Eco Bums Cloth Nappy Library service website.
Donate unwanted goods
Pre-owned clothing, shoes, bags, homewares, electrical items, children's toys, dishes, ornaments, bedding and other household items that are in reasonable condition can be given to numerous charity organisations.
Some charity organisations may collect larger items such as furniture or whitegoods free of charge. For these items is best to contact the organisation directly to find out what they will accept and whether they are able to collect it.
Locally available charity organisations accepting donations of clothing, books and household items include:
Blackwood Lions Bargain Centre
Colebrook Drive, Eden Hills
Open Saturdays 8:30am - 12:30pm
- Lions Shed (bargain centre)
36 Quailo Avenue, Hallett Cove
Open Thursdays 9:30am - 12:30pm and Saturdays 9am - 12:30pm
Edwardstown Rotary Club Book Exchange
Cnr Towers Terrace and Aberfeldy Avenue, Edwardstown
Southern Secondhand Salvage and Collectables
10 Donegal Road, Lonsdale
Turn your food scraps and garden waste into a rich soil conditioner for the garden. Visit our composting and worm farming page for tips on getting started.
Visit the Foodwise website to find recipe suggestions for using leftovers in the fridge and reducing food waste.
You can also find additional information on various other topics on our Sustainable Living page.