What are you looking for on this page?
- Pay your rates
- How rates are calculated
- When rates are due
- Natural Resources Management Levy
- Late payments
- Hardship and Alternative Payment Arrangements
- Postponement of rates - seniors
- Residential Construction Rebate
- Rate Rebate Applications
- Contact details
Council rates are calculated by multiplying the capital value of a property (as assessed by the Valuer General) by a rate in the dollar.
There are a range of different rates in the dollar depending on land use, for example:
- Residential: 0.00358121
- Commercial: 85% - 0.00662524
- Industrial: 70% - 0.00608805
- Vacant land: 100% - 0.00716242
The minimum rate for 2016/2017 is $1000.
The City of Marion's rates notices are issued in July each year.
You can choose to pay your rates in four quarterly instalments or in one annual amount.
Each quarterly instalment is payable on or before:
1 September 2016
1 December 2016
1 March 2017
1 June 2017
When paying by instalments, the Council will send out separate instalment notices approximately 30 days prior to each payment due date.
Council collects a regional Natural Resources Management (NRM) Levy on all rateable properties on behalf of your regional NRM board.
The NRM board invests this levy in managing and protecting priority water, land, marine and biodiversity assets.
The NRM Levy for 2016-2017 is 0.00009493.
For further information, visit the Natural Resources Management website or phone 8273 9100.
Rate payments must be received on or before the due date shown on the rates notice.
- A fine of 2% will then be applied to the amount due.
- Every month thereafter, interest (at the prescribed rate) will be charged on the total amount in arrears.
- Council may refer the debt to a debt collection agency without further notice being provided.
- The debt collection agency's fees and charges are recoverable from the ratepayer.
Ratepayers who are experiencing financial difficulties and are unable to meet the standard rate payment arrangement, should contact the Council's Rates Department at the earliest opportunity to discuss options for alternative payment arrangements. Such enquiries are treated confidentially.
Please note that fines may still apply.
Ratepayers who hold a State Seniors Card (or who are eligible to hold a State Seniors card and have applied for one) may apply to Council to postpone payment of rates on their principal place of residence.
Postponed rates remain as a charge on the land and are not required to be repaid until the property is sold or disposed of.
- Download the form: Application Form for Postponement of Rates for Seniors (603 kb)
If you are building a home, you could be eligible for lower Council rates.
Home builders may be eligible for lower rates once the foundation/slab is laid. This means that your rates will reduce from the vacant land rate to the residential rate.
The terms and conditions include:
- The foundation/slab must be laid between 1 July 2016 and 30 June 2017.
- The principal ratepayer must apply to the Council in writing for the rebate prior to 30 June 2017.
If you believe you are eligible for the rebate, please advise the Council in writing by either emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to PO Box 21, Oaklands Park SA 5046.
Ratepayers of the City of Marion who believe they are eligible for a rate rebate for the financial year 2017/18 must make written application with the Rate Rebate Application form to the Council by Wednesday 24 May 2017.
Applicants need to identify the grounds for the application under the relevant section of either the Local Government Act 1999 or Local Government (Accountability Framework) Amendment Act 2009.
Each application, whilst being dealt with on its merits, will also be considered in terms of the requirements of Rate Rebate Policy(174 kb).
All relevant supporting information must accompany an application and a declaration about the content of the application must be completed.
Pensioners and self-funded retirees who receive the State Government’s Cost of Living concession are not eligible to apply.
- Download the Rates Rebate Application Form(141 kb)
For more information on any of the above, please contact:
Monday to Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm
Phone: 8375 6600
Fax: 8375 6699
Post: PO Box 21, Oaklands Park SA 5046
In person: 245 Sturt Road, Sturt SA 5047