Why is illegal dumping an issue?
Illegal dumping can have significant negative impacts on communities. Not only is it unsightly, it can put public health and safety at risk.
The dumping of domestic and household waste makes neighbourhoods look bad and upsets those who are doing the right thing. The dumping of hazardous waste such as asbestos and chemicals is particularly dangerous.
The cost to council of cleaning up illegal dumping is considerable. The City of Marion is working closely with residents and the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) to stamp out illegal dumping.
- Taping off and investigating reported illegal dumping.
- Levy fines upon those found dumping illegally.
- Producing high visibility stickers to show when a hard rubbish collection has been booked.
- Running targeted education campaigns to increase awareness of good waste management practices.
What can you do?
You can assist by:
- Report illegal dumping by calling the City of Marion on 8375 6600.
- You can dispose of your own waste in the correct manner. For more information, visit the following pages:
- Watch out for collection days for Tricky Waste.
Together, it is possible to encourage good waste management practices and keep the City of Marion free of illegal dumping.
For further information, feel free to contact:
City of Marion
Phone: (08) 8375 6600
Fax: (08) 8375 6699
Post: PO Box 21, Oaklands Park SA 5046
In Person: 245 Sturt Road, Sturt SA 5047