Marion Historical Society
- To arouse interest in the history of Marion and South Australia.
- To promote the preservation of material relating to that history and encourage community access to that material.
- To assist in the preservation of buildings and sites significant to Marion.
- 20 February – James Smith – Bubbles, Bottles and Colonial Bastards
- 20 March – Alan Burns – Glenthorne – what it means for you
- 17 April – Annual General Meeting – Members Night (Show and Tell)
- 15 May – Glen Woodward – Queen Adelaide
- 19 June – Gwynne Allan – NASA Specialist – Inside Story of NASA
- 17 July – Clem Latz Who's Hubert? The life of Sir Hubert Wilkins
- 21 August – Peter Brice – South Australian Sea Rescue Squadron
- 18 September – Margaret Messenger – Thomas Currie Tait
- 16 October – Heidi Ing – Heidi Ing – Eustace Mitford – Pasquin
- 17 November – Break-up luncheon at Marion Sports Club
All visitors are welcome.
All meetings are held at the Cooinda Neighbourhood Centre, Sturt Road (behind the Council Chambers) at 7.30pm on the third Wednesday of the month.
President: Heather Latz - Phone: 0417 883 909
Secretary: Judy Morphett - Phone: 8298 5585
Treasurer: Claude Rankin - Phone: 8277 9511
$10 per person, $15 per family, payable to the Treasurer.
The membership year runs from 1 February to 31 January.
Work on the local history collection
We are currently working with the City of Marion in the development of the Marion Heritage Research Centre in the Red House in front of the council administration building on Sturt Road. There is a variety of interesting volunteering opportunities. Come and get involved with:
- Filing photographs, news clippings, documents and other resources with information about people, places and events in the City of Marion.
- Helping members of the public with historical enquiries.
- Collecting oral histories.
- Undertaking research about aspects of Marion’s history.
- Preparing information resources for public reference.
- Organising displays for events in the City of Marion.
For more details, contact:
Marion Heritage Research Centre
Phone: 7420 6455
Fax: 8375 6699