Hazardous Household Waste
Household, garden and pool chemicals are dangerous to the community and the environment. They must not be put in any of your bins at home.
Hazardous household waste includes chemicals, insecticides, varnishes and solvents from your kitchen, bathroom, laundry and garden shed.
Please take your hazardous household waste to:
Green Industries SA (GISA) Household Hazardous Waste Depot
Hazardous household waste and farm chemicals can be taken to the waste depot operated by Zero Waste SA (ZWSA) located at the corner of Magazine Road and Henschke Street, Dry Creek.
This service is provided free of charge by GISA for all households and farmers.
The waste depot is open on the first Tuesday of every month (excluding public holidays) between 9am and 12noon.
For information on what is accepted, visit the Green Industries SA website.
Other disposal options for common tricky waste items
Safe transportation of hazardous household waste to collection facilities
It is important to take the following precautions when transporting household hazardous wastes to your collection point:
- Always handle hazardous wastes carefully and avoid direct contact. Wear protective gear/equipment where possible.
- Prior to transporting, ensure lids are tightly fitted and hazardous wastes are securely packed in a non-returnable crate or box. Place leaking containers into a sealed container prior to transportation.
- If possible retain all labels or label chemicals clearly where known.
- There will be no decanting facility for fuels on the day.
- When transporting, put the crate or box on a tarpaulin in the boot of the car.
- It is suggested that passengers are excluded from vehicles when transporting Hazardous Household Waste to drop-off point.
Find out more about Asbestos.
Flares, ammunition and explosives
Phone: 131 444
EPA Radiation Protection branch
Phone: 8463 7826