Our local communities are evolving. They have an increased awareness, a greater desire to be heard, and a higher expectation to be involved in issues which may impact their social, cultural, economic or environmental well being.
Our beliefs and behaviours are all influenced by the information we have access to and the knowledge we constantly acquire. If we as individuals, a Council, and a local community, are to change our decisions and behaviours to allow for a healthier environment, then we need to have access to information and the opportunity to apply knowledge.
Our community engagement policy
Raise community awareness of environmental issues and support opportunities for community participation and engagement in local environmental programs and activities.
The City of Marion aims to have a coordinated and consistent approach to community engagement to:
- Improve community engagement skills and abilities.
- Share understanding.
- Promote internal commitment to meaningful public participation.
- Maximise integration of community capacity building and social capital activities.
- Promote more effective and efficient use of resources.
- Share project and activity evaluation measures and reporting processes.
- Have meaningful community involvement in decision making.
- Provide guidance to council, council staff, consultants and the community on how to communicate more effectively with one another.